Skip to main content

Gareth Gates Interview : Cardiff Times

GARETH GATES INTERVIEW WITH WYBURN & WAYNE


Worldwide smash hit musical Footloose bursts back onto stage this February at The New Theatre Cardiff. We got to chat with Gareth Gates who will take the lead role of Willard,  a role originally made famous by Kevin Bacon in the 1984 smash hit film.

Gareth found fame through the ITV talent show Pop Idol and went on to sell over 5 million records worldwide. He has since gone on to star in West End shows such as Les Miserables and Legally Blonde. He has also appeared in shows such as Dancing On Ice and The Big Reunion.

image

 

Wyburn & Wayne: Tell us about your role in Footloose, are you enjoying the show?


Gareth: I am loving it. It’s been a long rehearsal period and I couldn’t wait to get the show started! It’s a lot more acting than singing this role for me, so having a stammer I’ve had to put a lot of work in. I’ve loved working with Racky the director – she’s put a lot of hard work in to get the best out of everyone

 

Wyburn & Wayne:  What’s your favorite number in the show?


Gareth: Well as this is more acting for me I only have one solo number which is Mama Says –which is great fun to do!

Wyburn & Wayne:  How did you find the transition from pop star playing arenas to west end star playing theatre shows?


Gareth: I guess the biggest difference is being part of a team. Which is great. I enjoy touring and seeing different cities – I’m very lucky I’ve been nearly everywhere! I found the transition quite easy – but make no mistake 8 shows a week isn’t always easy!

 

Wyburn & Wayne:  What does 2016 have in store for you? Will there be more music or are you concentrating on theatre?


Gareth: Well we have only just started this, so much of it will be Footloose. I’m also taking part in the second leg of Mad about the Musicals from mid April to Mid June.

 

Wyburn & Wayne: You’ve played Cardiff quite a few times now, what’s the audience like here? And do you have any stand out memories of playing Cardiff?


Gareth: Ah, I love Cardiff! I’ve got lots of friends that live nearby too and they always come and see me so I always feel very welcome! So I’m looking forward to it this time – both on and off stage! I’ve played a lot in South Wales – both as parts of shows and my own tours too and the audiences are great.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Man

Many Man Written & Performed by Tobias Weatherburn  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Tobias Weatherburn triumphs in Spilt Milks production of Many Man, taking us on a rollercoaster of emotions as he explores the multiple personalities of a man searching for happiness by creating a new persona each time life fails him. Many Man is a journey of a man searching for the better version of himself and ultimately wanting just to be the man he was born to be. From the start we thought this one man show would be something of a comedy stand up. There was much laughter as Weatherburn described his characters life and got all philosophical on life in general and each time the character transforms himself into a completely different persona it's done so cleverly and with lots of humour. It's not until each persona fails and breaks down that we see the dark and tormented side to his complex character.  Weatherburn delivers impeccable comic timing and nails a number of accents which keep flipping ...

Strike A Pose : Interview With Carlton Wilborn

Back in 1990 Madonna took stardom to dizzy heights no star had experienced before. She had a massive number one hit on her hands (Vogue), was in a hit film (Dick Tracy) and embarked on a World Tour that would have the whole world talking! The Blond Ambition Tour broke boundaries and the box office, it was the hottest ticket of the year. And if you wasn’t lucky enough to get a ticket, the tour was made into a rockumentary which featured Madonna on stage, on the road and in bed with Madonna. The film (Truth or Dare/In Bed With Madonna) focused on the relationships the superstar had with those closest to her especially the seven male dancers who featured heavily in the film. Truth or Dare has become something of a classic, probably the first venture into reality TV. The dancers that appeared in it became stars in their own right and attracted a fan base of their own. Now twenty five years later ‘Strike a Pose’ a feature documentary from Ester Gould and Reijer Zwaan, catch...

Kiln.Secured Review

Tonight is your last chance to catch ‘Secured’, a comedic look into life at a Security Surveillance Office. Performing tonight at AJ’s Coffee House, City Road at 7pm, tickets are only £5. “Two men staring at a set of CCTV monitors doesn't sound like the most auspicious of settings for a comedy but the opening of Secured belies what is to come. Performed by James Sarson, Aaron Price and the walkie-talkie-fied Melanie Stevens, Unsecured is a bright, funny play with some surprisingly touching elements that really do make you connect with the characters. Packing in a gag-per-minute ratio that would make many comedy scriptwriters envious, Secured contrasts two men attempting to bond across generations and makes for compelling watching. This is a show I truly hope returns to the stage in the near future to give more people a chance to catch it and is a solid turn for debut writer Tobias Weatherburn and director Becca Lidstone. I look forward to seeing what they have planned next.” ...